GEOM and moving to CURRENT from 7.1

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Sun Jan 11 16:36:01 PST 2009

Howdy,

Beware if you are upgrading from a 7.1 system to CURRENT that you may
need to have
the kernel options GEOM_MBR and GEOM_BSD in your kernel.  I spent a
couple of hours
dealing with this on my Thinkpad X60 today which had, what I thought,
was a pretty simple
setup of 1 slice for BSD, and a simple layout of /, swap and /usr.
When I tried to boot
the new kernel I got to the mount error prompt and could not mount
ad4p1 or anything like it.
Adding the GEOM_MBR and GEOM_BSD options back into the kernel fixed
things.  Happily I was
able to boot 7.1 still and fix this.

Best,
George