Unicode-based FreeBSD

Alexander Churanov alexanderchuranov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:25:16 PST 2009

Folks,

This is a short status update on UTF-8 support for syscons.

Mainly, output path works but is not customizable yet. Input path, APIs for
user-mode and user-mode applications are not completed. I feel, however,
that encoding the keyboard input to UTF-8 is the only real bottleneck for
me. ioctls and user-mode applications require some routine and very
predictable work. Probably, all of this is doable in 8.0 timeframe.

I've updated the wiki with current status and brief description of unicode:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/SysconsUnicodeProject

Sincerely,

Alexander Churanov