3G modem and USB, old & new

Nick Hibma nick at van-laarhoven.org
Fri Jan 9 12:58:11 PST 2009

Poul-Henning,

I have had many reports of devices working. I've also had several people
report that the device failed miserably with similar problems like you are
perceiving.

I am talking oldusb here, as that is what I am familiar with.

I've not been able to reproduce the problems reliably. But looking at the
symptoms somehow buffering goes pear-shaped somewhere. There is no
buffering being done in the u3g code.That's all handled by ucom, but to me
that looks like cut&paste from other code. So I presume (wildly pointing
fingers at code I do not yet understand) that the problem is somewhere in
the combination of ucom and tty layer, or perhaps even in the TTY layer.

Perhaps you have a clue as to where in the TTY layer we could look for
problems? The usage patterns for the u3g devices is much different from
other serial devices, as a) the speeds are much higher than other serial
(USB) devices, and b) data arrives in large chunks of several kb in some
cases.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Nick