Fwd: X becomes unresponsive with nvidia / xscreensaver and desktop panics

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 21:44:04 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Andrew Reilly
<andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 12:00:46AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> Garrett Cooper wrote:

> Straight up: I can't help with this particular OP's quesiton,
> just have a comment, further down.
>
>> I have and I had the same in FreeBSD 7.0/7.1 and now with 8.0-CUR with
>> both a NV8600GTS and an older NV6800GT. A very old NV6600 never showed
>> up these lockings when I used that PCIe-Card with FreeBSD 7.0/7.1, but
>> I'm not sure. The locks came spontanous, sometimes after heavy usage of
>> 'mplayer', but sometimes instantanously after the destop showed up.
>>
>> On those boxes, there is no Linux emulation and no Linux BLOB (useless,
>> due to 64 Bit). I swapped the 'nv' driver on all FreeBSD boxes with
>> 'vesa', because there is another issue with sprites/graphics buffers
>> many times reported using FireFox.
>
> I have had terrible trouble with an NV6800 card on my AMD64
> machine and a 1600x1200 LCD display.  I mostly had to use the
> vesa driver, becauase sometimes the nv driver would just fail
> to initialize the card properly, and it would be just black,
> or wrong frequencies/jumbled: it was a mess.  Vesa worked,
> but generally didn't let me go beyond 1280x1024.  When nv was
> (occasionally) working I had the firefox bug surface.
>
> I've commented about this on the lists (and on usenet) before,
> so I thought that I'd better also mention, for the record, that
> I have completely solved the problem by replacing that card with
> an inexpensive ATI card that the radionhd driver recognizes as
> "RV635" based.  Should have done it long ago...  Everything
> appears to work perfectly, now.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew

Ok, well given the feedback (what I was kind of fishing for), I'll
gladly start talking to some nVidia folks about reproducing these
issues and bugfixing their driver.

Another datapoint: when it doesn't lock up, Xorg dies mysteriously
after some hours use.

I'm running XFCE4, but I'm wondering a) what desktops folks are
running that have had issues, and b) what the configurations are. That
way we can better tie down the problem at hand.

Replacing my 8800GTS with a lower grade nVidia card isn't going to cut
it -- I don't like workarounds that cost most money and create more
spare hardware that I don't use :).

Thanks!
-Garrett