FreeBSD 8: fails booting from slice ad8s1a

Mark Atkinson atkin901 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 10:41:05 PST 2009

Replying to myself, solution below:

Mark Atkinson wrote:
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad6s1a
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>                        eg. ufs:da0s1a
>   ?                  List valid disk boot devices
>   <empty line>       Abort manual input
>
> mountroot> ?
>
> List of GEOM managed disk devices:
>   ad6b ad6a ad6 acd0
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>                        eg. ufs:da0s1a
>   ?                  List valid disk boot devices
>   <empty line>       Abort manual input
>
> mountroot> ufs:ad6a
> Trying to mount root from ufs:ad6a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> /: mount pending error: blocks 8 files 1
> Lookup of /dev for devfs, error: 20
> exec /sbin/init: error 20
> exec /sbin/oinit: error 20
> exec /sbin/init.bak: error 20
> exec /rescue/init: error 20
> exec /stand/sysinstall: error 20
> init: not found in
> path /sbin/init:/sbin/oinit:/sbin/init.bak:/rescue/init:/stand/sysinstall
> panic: no init
> cpuid = 1
> KDB: enter: panic
> [thread pid 1 tid 100002 ]
> Stopped at      kdb_enter+0x3a: movl    $0,kdb_why
> db>

This is the 'stale label' problem described here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2008-December/001750.html

with the solution here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-January/001892.html

After erasing the 'non-slice' label on the disk, I'm able to mount root.

--
Mark Atkinson
atkin901 at yahoo.com
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);