Default FS Layout Too Small?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 22:41:36 PST 2009

Lawrence Stewart wrote:

> When I last played around with having 1 large partition in the 6.1 days,
> it didn't actually work consistently. From memory the issue is that if
> the boot filesystem (which was on the large root partition) extended
> past a particular combination of cyl/head/sector, the machine would
> crash in the boot stage. With a 20GB disk it was fine, but a 40GB disk
> would trigger the crash.
>
> This may have been fixed since then, but it would be worth doing some
> testing on a range of hardware before we could recommend it as an option.

A counter point: we have several hundred servers of various makes[*], sizes
and ages -- most OS versions since 4.11 right up to 7.1-p3, typically with
40+ GB HDDs for the system disk (depending on age -- the most recent machines
have 160GB) -- all laid out in the all-in-one fashion and we've never seen the
problem described.  I can only suppose Lawrence ran into a specific motherboard
or BIOS limitation.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Supermicro, HP, IBM