Default FS Layout Too Small?

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Tue Feb 24 12:34:24 PST 2009

Sean Bruno wrote:
> I noted that if I choose the auto defaults for my F/S layout, sysinstall
> will not reserve enough space for root(512MB?).  This is just barely
> enough to recompile and install an updated kernel.  Much more than that
> and the F/S is full.
>
> I would assume that the default would be much larger now-a-days. I think
> a simple doubling to 1G would be sufficient.
>
> Comments?
>
> Sean

I have observed the same issue.  Somehow there is a lot more stuff in
/boot/kernel than there used to be.  I'm guessing that a lot of it is
symbols for the debugger, which used not to be there.  And when you have
/boot/kernel.old as well, it really gets pretty full there.

I don't understand the comment made by another poster that 85MB is
enough.  I have a FreeBSD 7 box which was partitioned years ago (back in
FreeBSD 2 days) which has only 256MB on the root FS.  My process for
installing the kernel is now
cd /usr/src
make installkernel
.... this dies with a "file system full" error
rm -r /boot/kernel.old
make installkernel