Annoying whitenoise sound coming from snd_hda enabled chipset

Alexander Motin mav at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 24 10:59:50 PST 2009

Ben Kaduk wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> Ben Kaduk wrote:

>>> I'm still getting the noise, even with these mixer settings:
>>> periphrasis# mixer
>>> Mixer vol      is currently set to  25:25
>>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  25:25
>>> Mixer speaker  is currently set to   0:0
>>> Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
>>> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
>>> Mixer monitor  is currently set to   0:0
>>> Recording source:
>> You have set vol and pcm to 25. They are measured not in percents now, there
>> are a logarithmic scales inside codec, so, depending on model, 25 may mean
>> something like -30dB, when you will be able to hear codec's native noise
>> margin, which can quite high cheap codecs and cheap boards.
>>
>> Set your mixer to 80-100 and reduce volume on you speakers/amplifier.
>
> Sadly, I am using headphones, with no additional amplification.

Then you unlucky. Buy some divider or make it using two jacks and two
resistors.

Also you may try to disable some in-codec or on-board amplifier if they
present in your system. First can be controller by setting pin type to
Line-out instead of Headphones, second sometimes controlled with GPIO
signals.

> I think I was using the same or similar mixer settings in the old world order,
> with the same loudness at my ear.  I would be surprised if the
> change to logarithmic scale is solely responsible for this noise, but it
> is plausible ...

If you really wish to investigate possible noise source, you can always
get codec's signal map from it's datasheet or driver output and make
sure that all unwanted signal sources are blocked. You can get a lot of
information about driver operation from it's output, especially with
setting hw.snd.verbose=4. But I does not think you'll find there
something, driver does this task quite good.

--
Alexander Motin