help generating good id string for ATA id fix (Via VB8001)

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Thu Feb 19 13:34:15 PST 2009

Maxim Sobolev writes:
 > George Hartzell wrote:
 > > I have a Via VB8001 running -CURRENT.  The disk controllers aren't
 > > recognized and end up running in UDMA33.
 > >
 > > The following patches to things under /usr/src/sys/dev/ata recognize
 > > my drives as SATA300.
 > >
 > > I don't know how to figure out what id strings to use though,
 > > everything I've found about the board claims that the chip is a 8237S,
 > > which is already used.  Clearly calling it the GH is a hack.
 > >
 > > How can I track down the correct info so that I can submit a useful
 > > PR?
 >
 > Why does it matter so much? Call it ATA_VIA8237S_1 or ATA_VIA8237S_5372
 > for example, this is definitely not the first time in history when
 > vendor use different PCI Id for the different silicon revisions of the
 > same part.

It doesn't matter to me, but for the same reason it's useful to choose
evocative and mnemonic variable name I'd be willing to do a bit of leg
work to actually call it with it's proper name.  The obvious (to me)
googling and such didn't get me anywhere and I'm not sure where to
turn next.

If sos@ or whoever else eventually commits it is happy with
ATA_VIA8237S_1 then I'll move on to other stuff.

g.