HEADS UP: IFF_NEEDSGIANT consumers to be disabled, removed

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Tue Feb 17 11:21:54 PST 2009

* Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> anyway, i guess conversion to nmdm(4) is in order then. at least this
> way users will have to change /dev/tty  to /dev/nmdm which is possibly
> less pain than other alternatives. while we are at it, we also could
> implement your approach, i.e. auto-allocate and print /dev/nmdm node
> if requested.

But nmdm(4) is not really meant to be used for stuff like that, not that
I think pts(4) should even be abused for this. The reason why pts(4) is
used, is because the application tries to mimic a serial port of some
sort on which data arrives that is normally handled by some kind of
pppd. pts(4) doesn't have a lot of overhead in this setup.

As you mentioned earlier, there is no need to use pts(4), because
rfcomm_sppd also supports using stdout/stdin. This is a lot better,
because our pipe implementation is probably a lot faster than pts(4).
I'd rather see the handbook changed to not mention TTYs anywhere.

--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/