Annoyance with recent parallelism in rc.d

Mike Makonnen mmakonnen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 22:15:51 PST 2009

Alexey Shuvaev wrote:
> Rev. 1.4 of rc.d/defaultroute.
> Ok, what should I do to have network daemons happy on startup?
> I am on a LAN so always have plugged-in cable.
> I do see on the console:
> msk0: link state changed to DOWN
> msk0: link state changed to UP
>                    got link
> msk0: link state changed to DOWN
> Starting Network: lo0 msk0.
> msk0: link state changed to UP
> msk0: link state changed to DOWN
>
> AFAIK some NIC (or PHY-s?) require some sort of reset to handle some
> events.
> Should I live with synchronous_dhclient="YES" or something else?

This seems to be an issue with the driver for the network card. No
special handling needs to take place in rc.d. So, yes,
synchronous_dhclient=yes should be the appropriate work-around.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen       | GPG-KEY: http://people.freebsd.org/~mtm/mtm.asc
mtm @ FreeBSD.Org   | AC7B 5672 2D11 F4D0 EBF8  5279 5359 2B82 7CD4 1F55