ATA_CAM for extradummies

Diego Depaoli trebestie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 02:28:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> After adding
>> device sg
>> as suggested by @bf1783 to my kernel now I can see pass devices.
>
> I don't see relations between sg and pass drivers,
I don't know. Since I built kernel without ata* devices, dmesg didn't
show any pass device, so @bf1783 asked me if I had pass, ses and sg in
kernel.

>> Unfortunately that doesn't solve the other issues:
>> - without ataati my DVD drive isn't detected
>
> Man, excuse me, but if you are "extradummy" - don't touch kernel
> options. Especially experimental, especially without understanding.
Sorry for bother you, I thought testers were welcome, expecially on -current.

> Sure, without ataati your DVD won't be detected, as it is PATA drive,
> and you have ATI PATA controller, supported by this driver. ATA_CAM
> option was especially made to allow this driver to be used with CAM
> subsystem.
>
>> - ripping DVD the system becomes unusable
>> ahcich0: hardware reset ...
>> ahcich0: SATA connect time=0ms status=00000123
>> ahcich0: port is not ready (timeout 10000ms) tfd = 00000480
>
> As I have said, it is a combination of ATI hardware bug and the fact
> that DVD ripper has no idea about CAM ATA devices, trying to work with
> them with SCSI commands. I will make workaround for this.
Thanks.
As final note... reading 3 different DVD with mplayer or mencoder I
don't get this issue, but that other one
READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 8 bf 60 0 0 1 0
CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:11,5
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): L-EC uncorrectable error
(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): Retrying Command (per Sense Data)
within 1 or 2 minutes.

Cheers
--
Diego Depaoli