ATA_CAM for extradummies

Diego Depaoli trebestie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 21:31:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Alexander Motin <mav at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Diego Depaoli wrote:
>> Trying to rip a DVD with ogmrip which uses libdvd[read | nav | css] my
>> system becomes unusable.
>> Syslog repeats many and many times:
>> ahcich0: port is not ready (timeout 10000ms) tfd = 00000480
>> ahcich0: device ready timeout
>>
>> ahci0: <ATI IXP700 AHCI SATA controller> port
>>
>> I can only poweroff the machine since reboot hangs syncing the buffers.
>> After restart, verbose dmesg causes kernel panic.
>
> As soon as your DVD drive is on PATA channel, errors are not directly
> related to ripping. I think it is related to device scanning before it.
> I think libdvd tries to send SCSI commands to SATA disks, which is not
> handled properly by IXP700 AHCI controller.

After adding
device sg
as suggested by @bf1783 to my kernel now I can see pass devices.

Unfortunately that doesn't solve the other issues:
- without ataati my DVD drive isn't detected
- ripping DVD the system becomes unusable
ahcich0: hardware reset ...
ahcich0: SATA connect time=0ms status=00000123
ahcich0: port is not ready (timeout 10000ms) tfd = 00000480

Let me know if I can help someway

Regards
--
Diego Depaoli