[regression] loader stalls on compressed module

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 22:30:00 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 16:00:20 John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 December 2009 4:24:54 am David Naylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It appears that recently (~6 months) loader can no longer load compressed
> > kernel objects (gzipped) .  This regression is present on both FreeBSD-8
> > and
>
> -
>
> > Current.
> >
> > This can be reproduced by doing:
> > # cd /boot/kernel ; gzip -9 unionfs.ko
> > (Choose option 6 from loader and enter: load unionfs)
> >
> > I have experienced this on both i386 and amd64.  It appears that loader
> > can handle a compressed generic kernel (and maybe other modules).
>
> Does a loader from TOT still exhibit this?  If you build the loader w/o GPT
> support (LOADER_NO_GPT or some such, it's in sys/boot/i386/loader/Makefile)
> does that fix it?

What is TOT?

# make clean depend all install -DLOADER_NO_GPT_SUPPORT -DLOADER_ONLY
=> Stalled

# make clean depend all install -DLOADER_BZIP2_SUPPORT -DLOADER_ONLY
=> (With bzip2 -9 unionfs.ko)
lseek failed

elf64_obj_loadimage: read failed

can't load file '/boot/kernel/unionfs.ko' input/output error

I don't use bzip2 support so I cannot comment on past behaviour.  Should I
file a PR about this problem?