AHCI/ATA_CAM for dummies?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 14 06:26:11 UTC 2009

b. f. wrote:
> On 12/14/09, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> One thing I did not include in my previous post was that I actually
>> did try adding the ahci device to my kernel config, and didn't get any
>> hits. Per your other message tonight I tried again adding ahci and
>> siis and booting verbose, no joy. This is on a laptop so I'm not
>> really surprised, just disappointed. :)
>
> If you use 'pciconf -lv', is the subclass for your SATA controller
> listed as either RAID or AHCI?

I should also have mentioned that I looked in my  BIOS and didn't see
anything relevant. Here is the pciconf output:

atapci0 at pci0:0:31:2:    class=0x010180 card=0x01c21028 chip=0x27c48086
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage
Controller'
    class      = mass storage
    subclass   = ATA

Doug