May be include in GENERIC option INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 12 23:43:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, 12 Dec 2009, Doug Barton wrote:

> Alex Keda wrote:
>> For those who have recently engaged in FreeBSD, and inexperienced managers
>> who have inherited a server "by inheritance" is often the question arises -
>> where to find the configuration file in which to compile your kernel? (Of
>> course, a file by that time there =))
>
> I actually thought that was already done, but I see now that it's not. I
> would like to see this as well, any objections?

I'd say go for it.  It's not perfect, but given modern memory sizes for
systems using GENERIC, I'd say the administrative benefit is well worth it.
People doing embeddded will cut it as well as lots of other stuff in GENERIC
anyway.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge