AHCI/ATA_CAM for dummies?

James R. Van Artsdalen james-freebsd-current at jrv.org
Sat Dec 12 22:39:44 UTC 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
> I'd like to test the new stuff, but my main concern at this point is
> that I am not 100% sure how to change my fstab, what will happen if I
> need to revert, etc.

Assign each UFS filesystem a label with fstab -L.  Have fstab reference
this label and not the device/partition name.

Configure a gmirror into the swap area and then reference this in fstab
(a gmirror may be created with only one member).

These will then work no matter which ATA/AHCI/SIIS/SAS driver is used as
GEOM will find them and set up the names for fstab to use.