8.0-BETA 3 has problems

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:40:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Dan Allen <danallen46 at airwired.net> wrote:

> I just downloaded the 8.0 Beta 3 CD, the regular Intel version.  I tried to
> install it on my Mac using the Q/Qemu emulator.  All previous versions of
> FreeBSD since 6.0 and later have worked just fine on this emulator.  FreeBSD
> 7.2 installs and works fine on it, for example.
>
> FreeBSD 8.0 Beta 3 dies in the install.  The resulting installation does
> not boot and cannot find a kernel.  I do not know anything more than what I
> have said, and yes, I know that this is not very helpful.  I did a standard
> install, answered  the questions, said "yes I really want to do all of
> this", the install began, and the next thing I know everything was toasted -
> the emulator had shut down the process.  When I try and boot it up from the
> resulting hard disk image, it cannot find a kernel.
>
> Is this really Beta software?  It feels incredibly fragile compared to
> previous releases of BSD.  I found major problems with 8.0 Beta 2 on a Dell
> laptop a few weeks ago as well.
>
> I think 8.0 should be held up and not shipped like this.  It will give
> FreeBSD a bad image.  Just one guy's opinion... (who has shipped a lot of
> software at Apple and at Microsoft in years past...)
>
> Dan Allen
> Independent SW Developer

+10

I´ve been having the same "it´s fragile" feeling (you just hit the nail in
the head with those words) since 7.2 and the stack overflow you can get by
simply copying /boot/defaults/loader.conf to /boot/loader.conf , which
didn´t happen before.

Problems with bge (does not resume from suspend in 7.2-REL, 8.0-BETA,
8.0-BETA2, 8.0-BETA3, PR 136876) and lack of wifi support for my harware
(BCM4315 - chip=0x431514e4), problems with fwohci (PR 136946), with shutdown
(PR: 136008), with ext2fs (
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2009-August/204407.html),
no display after resume using the vesa driver or getting a crash by simply
kldloading atapicam (at least from BETA2 in:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-July/009775.html and
BETA3:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-August/010937.html),
and opinions as "I say good riddence, if someone wants thier hardware not to
melt then each machine should be personally responsible and enroll in a
private monitoring service we don't need project sponsored health
monitoring." don´t do any help ... And that´s just to name some of the
simple issues .. those more related to desktop usage I guess.

Now , with all due respect, I´ve bought 7.x all the way and have been
following 8.x development since before -BETA got released (snapshots isos)
but I don´t see me buying a copy of it anytime soon :s

Just my view.
Best Regards
Gonzalo