8.0-BETA3/amd64 issues with Tyan S2882

Michael Sinatra michael at rancid.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 26 23:57:51 UTC 2009

On 8/26/09 2:09 PM, Michael Sinatra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using FreeBSD 8.0-BETA3 on an AMD64 Tyan S2882 system, and I am
> currently having issues with 8.0-BETA3.  The system was installed from
> an 8.0-BETA2 ISO and then csup'ed and rebuilt from source to get it to
> 8.0-BETA3.  Note that the problems I describe below were the same for
> BETA2 and BETA3.  I have received the same results when using the mobo
> with 8G of RAM AND 16G.  The dmesg output below shows the 16G system. On
> both systems, I have flashed the BIOS with the latest version from Tyan
> (3.09).
>
> FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE works beautifully on both.  None of the problems
> below occur with that version.
>
> Two big problems with this mobo and 8.0-BETA3:
>
> 1. LOR 'n' hang on halt/reboot:
>
> Whenever rebooting or halting the system, I get an LOR and the system
> just hangs.  (See LOR output below.)  The system must be hard-reset or
> power-cycled, and then it boots fine (disks are properly sync'd so the
> filesystems are clean).  This looks similar to other umount-related LORs
> that have been reported on this list.
>
> 2. bge interface problems:

Argh, it was the ASF problem.  Setting hw.bge.allow_asf=0 fixed the
hangs (both on reboot and on raising the bge0 interface), although the
LOR is still there.

I had thought that ASF was enabled in 7.x by default, but I see from my
7.2 machine that it is not.

Thanks to Andrzej Tobola for pointing that out for me.

michael