panic: in pf_reassemble() ?

Ian Freislich ianf at clue.co.za
Fri Aug 21 15:01:15 UTC 2009

Hi

So, I thought I'd run a benchmark and see how my forwarding did.
I got the following panic, easily provokable:

Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 10; apic id = 0a
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xffffffff801bc111
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff81ccae46b0
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xffffff81ccae4710
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 11 (irq258: bce2)
trap number             = 9
panic: general protection fault
cpuid = 10
KDB: stack backtrace:
db_trace_self_wrapper() at db_trace_self_wrapper+0x2a
panic() at panic+0x182
trap_fatal() at trap_fatal+0x2ad
trap() at trap+0x10b
calltrap() at calltrap+0x8
--- trap 0x9, rip = 0xffffffff801bc111, rsp = 0xffffff81ccae46b0, rbp = 0xffffff
81ccae4710 ---
pf_reassemble() at pf_reassemble+0xb1
pf_normalize_ip() at pf_normalize_ip+0x694
pf_test() at pf_test+0x78e
pf_check_in() at pf_check_in+0x39
pfil_run_hooks() at pfil_run_hooks+0x9c
ip_fastforward() at ip_fastforward+0x319
ether_demux() at ether_demux+0x131
ether_input() at ether_input+0x1e0
ether_demux() at ether_demux+0x6f
ether_input() at ether_input+0x1e0
bce_intr() at bce_intr+0x398
intr_event_execute_handlers() at intr_event_execute_handlers+0x100
ithread_loop() at ithread_loop+0x8e
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x117
fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0xe
--- trap 0, rip = 0, rsp = 0xffffff81ccae4d30, rbp = 0 ---

I also got a core, but it's totally useless:

[firewall2.jnb1] ~ # kgdb -c /var/crash/vmcore.10 /boot/kernel/kernel
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
This GDB was configured as "amd64-marcel-freebsd"...(no debugging symbols found)...
Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure pointer.
Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure pointer.
Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure pointer.
Attempt to extract a component of a value that is not a structure pointer.
kgdb: kvm_read: invalid address (0xffffff009c31a460)
#0  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

I can setup remote GDB and set this panic off again if there's
something specific someone would like me to look at.

Ian

--
Ian Freislich