tools/kerneldoc

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Thu Aug 13 19:14:05 UTC 2009

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Andreas Tobler <andreast-list at fgznet.ch> (from Wed, 12 Aug
> 2009 22:56:16 +0200):
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anybody care about this 'kerneldoc' package?
>
> [...]
>
>> I then dived into the subsys dir and started a 'make all'.
>>
>> Here too, I failed since a few .m files are no more or they are
>> placed on a different place. Well, this was easy, more or less.
>> Commenting them made the build work, but this is only half the
>> truth, what about the new .m files?
>
> I have patches for the subsys part. A little bit more than only the .m
> files fix:
>     http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current/patches/dox.diff

Thanks, I tried it and I was surprised how long such a build took. Well,
html and latex more than 5 hours on a p4 2.8GHz. And the amount of data
is also huge, nearly 2GB of data.

> I haven't tested a lot there, e.g. the USB stuff needs review, as I
> didn't had a look at it since the new USB subsystem went in.
>
> Personally I care about the subsys part, but my spare time for it was
> not enough lately. I have some hope that I can setup an automatic run
> with the HTML files available on a public webserver after 8.0-release.
> At the time I do this, I will also have the time to check everything
> and commit the patches (I don't think this part is important enough to
> fix it this late in the release process, on the other hand it is
> something optional and a commit wouldn't hurt more than letting it in
> the current shape...).

I agree here, I do not think that this is release critical. I just
wondered if anybody is in touch with this code at all.

Could you enlight me with the meaning of the toplevel kerneldoc, is this
  kerneldoc package meant as a whole or is the benefit only in the
subsys part?

TIA,
Andreas