USB umass device not working on -current

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at spoerlein.net
Thu Aug 13 16:37:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, 10.08.2009 at 08:54:00 +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Harald Schmalzbauer schrieb am 09.08.2009 12:10 (localtime):
> > one year ago I fed my present for my mother with some music files - a
> > samsung ogg-player.
> > Until now the music collection is still untouched, so I tried to help
> > her and replace some files.
> > Unfortunately it doesn't attach as daX any more.
>
> Hmmm, very strange, here I found a PR reporting the opposite:
> http://www.jp.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=114154
> It's my player (just the 2G version) and Ulrich Spoerlein reports it
> working with HPS' stack, but not with the old USB code.
> I'm sure I filled this puppy here and I've been running FreeBSD-7 until
> -current was ready for testing (arround beta1).
> None the less, this device seems to work somehow on FreeBSD. I'm not
> sure how usb_quirk.ko is related. I'm lost. Are there still hard coded
> quirks?
> Any help appreciated

The test with Hans' stack was done a long time ago. Funny thing was
also, that something changed on RELENG_7 so that I needed to backout
those quirks to make the device work. It is working just fine under
RELENG_7 c

But trying this on a recent -CURRENT, I'm outta luck again:

ugen3.2: <Samsung> at usbus3
umass0: <Internal Device> on usbus3
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0110
umass0:1:0:-1: Attached to scbus1
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x4
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device

Oh well ...

Uli