Mounting rootfs from USB - problem.

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Thu Aug 13 14:21:56 UTC 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 15:35:19 Michal Hajduk wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> I've observed problem with mounting root filesystem from USB device at
> ARM platform. In my case the da0 device has showed too late
> (after Manual root filesystem specification).
>
> I've read the previous threads about USB booting problem but
> there was no final solution for this issue.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/new-usb-stack---boot-problem-from-usb-hdd-td23100089.
>html
>

> Maybe you know the best way how to deal with it ? or somebody
> is trying to fix it?

Hi,

The problem is in:

src/sys/kern/vfs_mount.c

I have suggested a solution where the mount root code is polling for the given
device until it arrives. The current device behaviour is the opposite: To wait
until all devices are present until mounting anything.

I'm currently not involved in any work on this. I would not recommend adding
more delay during startup to catch all kinds of USB devices enumerating.

--HPS