Unable to build HEAD

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Aug 6 03:02:39 UTC 2009

> Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 19:41:39 -0700
> From: Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I want to try out 8.0 and am trying to build it on a quad core Xenon
> > system.
> >
> > I deleted the contents of /usr/obj and most of /usr/src,
>
> Haven't you just answered most of your own question? :) Seriously
> though, why would you think it's ok to just delete most of src? Blow
> away /usr/obj again, move your current source tree out of the way, and
> check out a clean one.

OK. I cleaned out /usr/obj and saved /usr/src/sys/i386/conf. While I
will have to re-do my kernel config, I prefer to save my old one,

> > make.conf has nothing except KERNCONF and Perl version lines.
>
> Ok.
>
> > make.src is:
>
> What is make.src? Are you thinking of src.conf perhaps? Try checking
> the man page for src.conf if you need more info. A quick check seems
> to indicate that all of the knobs you have below are valid in any
case.

Yes, I meant src.conf. And, yes, all of the entries are valid.

But, as suggested by bf, I think that the WITHOUT_OPENSSH knob is
broken which is a problem since I have to use the ports version of
openssh with special options (OpenSC and HPN). I prefer to replace the
base version and not have to fight with having two of them.

Oh, well.

I may try to track down why WITHOUT_OPENSSH breaks the build, but my
make-fu is limited and it's probably too late to get it fixed in
8.0. Guess I should have tried V8 a couple of months ago.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)