libufs limitation trying to make newfs work on plain files

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 04:00:28 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:56:39PM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:58:59PM +0200, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 05:31:10AM +0100, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > libufs limitation trying to make newfs work on plain files
> > You proposal would introduce incompatibility in the ABI exposed by
> > one of the system library. The solution adopted by Linux and (recently)
> > by FreeBSD, is to use ELF symbol versioning. It seems that this case
> > can be handled by symver. As additional benefit, after your work
> > we would got one more symver-ed system library.
>
> could you point me to an example in freebsd that shows how to
> use this feature ?

In the FreeBSD src tree, at least libc, libm, libthr and kerberos libraries
utilize symver. There is a
http://people.freebsd.org/~deischen/symver/freebsd_versioning.txt
text that describes intended use os symver in the FreeBSD.

You can look at the r175688 for real-world handling of the ABI change
(in particular, in the structure definition) using symver.