i give up

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Sat Nov 29 19:00:13 PST 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008 17:31:56 Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2008, at 4:15 PM, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 November 2008 14:56:47 Garrett Cooper wrote:

> >> There's a hardware compatibility page, but it's probably out of
> >> date /
> >> incorrect (I'm sure not all supported hardware is noted there --
> >> bsdstats might have more info):
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/index.html (look under `Hardware
> >> Notes' for your given release).
> >>
> >> My mileage:
> >>
> >> - nVidia sucks for use on Unix platforms. Even under Linux I ran into
> >> a bunch of issues when building my PC last year, and I've discovered
> >> that if you're going to run Unix, stick to Intel chipsets.
> >> - nVidia chipsets (from my PoV -- I can be swayed) offer almost zero
> >> real advantage over Intel chipsets other than SLi. Then again I never
> >> have and never plan on running 2+ nVidia cards at once.
> >>
> >> So unfortunately by purchasing nVidia hardware you're kind of
> >> beckoning for problems, mostly because their datasheets and specs are
> >> more closed than Intel.
> >
> > I just built a box and used an 8500 GT nVidia clone it's a medium
> > range card
> > and is fully supported by FreeBSD.
> >
> > Beech
>
> I was referring more to complete nVidia chipsets (the north
> +southbridge variety), not video cards. Video cards have no real issue.
> -Garrett

I agree that's a completely different animal. I now tend towards MSI
motherboards. I had a couple of bad experiences with ASUS and every MSI box
I've built the MB is fully supported in FreeBSD. But you can never go wrong
with Intel.

Beech
Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.0R/announce.html