i give up

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Nov 28 22:37:51 PST 2008

> I have had experiences where modern hardware is such that Linux will
> work, and FreeBSD won't.  So I find myself forced to use Linux.  But I
> find the experience so frustrating, that as soon as FreeBSD catches up
> to that hardware - and this always seems to happen - I immediately go
> back to FreeBSD.

i am older and lazier.  i run current so i can support newer stuff such
as early zfs, ...  but i am cautious with hardware, checking that
current is known to run it before buying it.  luckily, the list of what
is supported is well documented.

as far as disk controllers go, i have been burned by hardware raid too
many times.  i get the most reliable, simple, and fast (in that order)
sata controller that is known to be supported, and use gmirror and zfs.
 with this approach, i have successfully recovered from drive deaths
with this approach.

randy