Call for testers: Atheros AR8121(L1E)/AR8113/AR8114(L2E) ethernet

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 21:00:56 PST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 07:14:12PM +0100, albri wrote:
 > hello,
 >
 > On 11/17/08, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 03:42:16PM +0100, albri wrote:
 > >  > hello,
 > >  >
 > >  > I have issues transfering big or many files over ethernet on 1000H, also.
 > >  > Using yongari's ale(4) driver
 > >  > http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/ale/ale.20081114.tar.gz I did not
 > >  > have any problems while I surf or download 37MB sourcecode from inet.
 > >  > Then scp(1)'ing source from 1000H to desktop PC showed a transfer rate
 > >  > with maximum 86kB/s regardless to which direction is copied. The
 > >  > ethernet NIC, while copying, is switched off regularily then. No
 > >  > copies possible after three megabytes.
 > >
 > > Try turning off TSO and let me know how it goes.
 > > ("#ifconfig ale0 -tso" will do the job.)
 > >

 > this helps a little bit with two effects.
 > Copying source-tree with scp(1):
 > Now I can see transfers with up to approx. 500kB/s - inaccurate
 > measured with scp(1),
 > but relation counts.
 > Transfer stalles after different data volumes with DMA-error on tty0,
 > but networking
 > port is not turned off. This happens after 30-80MB data transfers.
 > You can restart the whole copy at once again.
 >
 > Copying source-tree with nc(1) tar-gzipped:
 > Transfer stops and starts with DMA-error every approx. 7MB with turning off NIC.

I still can't reproduce this and I have no idea how to solve it
even if I can reproduce that on my box. :-(
There could be a wrong in DMA configuration or some mis-programmed
registers but I still see no errors in these area.

[...]
 > >  >
 > >  > - ifconfig shows:
 > >  > 1 ale0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
 > > 1500
 > >  > 2    options=319b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4>
 > >
 > > It seems that your hardware doesn't have WOL capability. But I
 > > guess EeePC 1000H does support WOL. You've disabled some
 > > functionality of ethernet controller in BIOS?
 > >
 > Ethernet controller is turned on in BIOS, but booting via ROM is turned off.
 > Maybe did I not compile WOL to my (nearly) monolithic kernel? And if
 > so, I do not know the switch.

Maybe you're not using latest stable/7.

[...]

 > Did you remember my second post?:
 >
 > >I want to make one addition:
 > >doing a
 > ># sockstat -46l
 > >I get following error:
 > >sockstat: struct xtcpcb size mismatch
 > >sockstat: struct xtcpcb size mismatch

Looks like your kernel is out of sync with world.

 > Is there a relation to DMA-error?

It may not be related with DMA error. ale(4) was MFCed to stable/7
so it would be better to rebuild your box with latest stable/7.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon