fsck_ufs after every reboot

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 12 07:42:43 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 02:44:05PM +0000, O. Hartmann wrote:
> I run FreeBSD 8.0/AMD64 on two boxes (one is a UP older AMD64 Athlon64
> 3500, other an 8-Core Dell Poweredge 1950).
>
> After nearly every reboot the box does fsck on all UFS2 filesystems. In
> most cases, while shuting down, the box reports about not willing to die
> processes and after a reboot, the filesystems are unclean.
>
> Is this a common problem at the moment or special?

I've seen this happen on my CURRENT box at home when using "shutdown -p
now".  Instead of the box powering off, it would lock up near the very
end of the shutdown process (before marking the filesystems clean).

Oddly, this works fine in RELENG_7, so I'm guessing there's some ACPI
development going on (I can't complain, it *is* CURRENT).