More on non-recognized SATA hardware

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Sun Nov 2 17:49:48 PST 2008

I just noticed something today in the boot messages that I hadn't
noticed before: it appears that my SATA controller is being probed as a
RAID controller, but without any driver being attached.

Booting a CURRENT snapshot from 11/02, I'm seeing something like:

pci0: <mass storage, RAID> at PCI 9.0 (no driver attached)

Would it be a simple matter of patching one of the existing RAID
hardware drivers (ahci, perhaps?) to recognize my specific device?  And
if so, how can I go about doing this with no existing FreeBSD
installation?  Or, could somebody do this for me and create a mini-iso, just enough to get me started with a minimal base system?

For what it's worth, here's the relevant info from Ubuntu's lspci
command:

00:09.0 RAID bus controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0ad8 (rev a2)
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a6e
	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx+
	Latency: 0 (750ns min, 250ns max)
	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 2299
	Region 0: I/O ports at d480 [size=8]
	Region 1: I/O ports at d400 [size=4]
	Region 2: I/O ports at d080 [size=8]
	Region 3: I/O ports at d000 [size=4]
	Region 4: I/O ports at cc00 [size=16]
	Region 5: Memory at f9e76000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
		Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
	Capabilities: [8c] SATA HBA <?>
	Capabilities: [b0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable+
		Address: 00000000fee0f00c  Data: 41a9
	Capabilities: [ec] HyperTransport: MSI Mapping Enable+ Fixed+
	Kernel driver in use: ahci
	Kernel modules: ahci

Please help!  I've got a serious FreeBSD jones going on here!  It's been about two months now since my last computer died and I've been without FreeBSD ever since.  Ubuntu is an OK temporary substitute, but I want my FreeBSD back!  :-)

Thanks!

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net>