Laptop w/ dark screen & no (working) keyboard

Robert Noland rnoland at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 30 19:03:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 10:37 -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 01:26:37PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> > It is possible that drm is waiting for resources, but I'm doubtful that
> > drm is the real problem.  It sounds like the screen is going black when
> > X attempts to start.
>
> Yes, it's in the transition from "text" to "graphics" mode.  I use xdm
> on the laptop; I also run RELENG_6 & RELENG_7 (from other slices), and
> until the first week of December, I don't recall seeing this before.
>
> > You could try disabling drm in your Xorg.conf and
> > see it that helps. (Option "DRI" "off" in the device section).
>
> OK; worth trying.
>
> > Do all
> > of the drm messages appear on the console before it hangs?
>
> Yes, but they also appear when it doesn't hang (whether running
> RELENG_6, RELENG_7, or HEAD).
>
> > I'm most suspicious of the acpi errors/warnings, but that isn't
> > an area that I have experience with.
>
> I believe an appropriate technical term is "black art."  :-}
>
> OK; the laptop has rebooted (following the above-cited change), and for
> a "sample size" of 1, there was no period longer than about a second or
> so that the screen stayed dark.
>
> So if that's repeatable, I'd suspect something involving DRI/drm,
> possibly involving interrupt handling...?

Ok, the most recent change that might be relavent was on Dec 18.

 r186295 | rnoland | 2008-12-18 16:04:50 -0500 (Thu, 18 Dec 2008) | 10
lines

Though that only pertains to pci/pcie based radeons and it looked like
yours was agp.  You can send me an xorg.log to verify.

robert.