HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks. [usb2 configuration]

Sam Leffler sam at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 27 22:59:29 UTC 2008

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Saturday 27 December 2008, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
>
>> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>>
>>> We're going to usher in the New Year with a new usb stack.
>>>
>>> Now is the time to test, test, test.
>>>
>>> It is also the time to point out anything missing from usb2 that
>>> is in usb1. ...
>>>
>>> See attachment.
>>>

>>>  # USB Serial devices
>>> -device		ucom		# Generic com ttys
>>> -device		u3g		# USB-based 3G modems (Option, Huawei, Sierra)
>>>
>> It seems u3g doesn't show up in the usb2 stuff. For me
>> this would be a real show stopper if I ran current.
>>

> The U3G driver has been ported to USB2. See "usb2_serial_3g".

I think this sort of confusion is indicative of problems with the way
usb2 is configured.  I recently switched a machine to usb2 and I naively
expected that doing this would just involve changing all items like

device   ums

device   ums2

when this didn't work I looked for manual pages but found none.  So then
I looked in sys/conf/files and found that every driver has a new name;
e.g. to get ums I now have to specify:

device   usb2_input_ms

but more than that I also have to include

device   usb2_input
device   usb2_core

I suggest this is not a good idea.  It is possible through module
dependencies and config rules in files to handle all this
automatically.   Perhaps I've missed something here but I think that
after the switchover users should not need to alter their config files
unless they are using new features.  This is all the more important in
that all these names changes will require all documentation to be
altered to match.

Separately I noticed the sys/modules/usb2 does not have a directory
hierarchy that paralells sys/dev/usb2.  I think you should reorganize
the modules to be consistent w/ existing conventions (e.g. have
sys/modules/ural2 or  sys/modules/usb2/wlan/ral).

    Sam