HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

Hartmut Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Tue Dec 23 14:36:55 UTC 2008

Li, Qing wrote:
> Yes, at least in the IPv4 case, I still generate the routing messages whenever entries are modified, so you can still wait for notifications on the routing socket. One should check for the address family AF_LINK type instead of checking for RTF_LLINFO flag. It's an over sight this note was not attached to the commit message.
>
> There are two locations in ND6 where I temporarily disabled rtmsg generation pending further investigation. I have a note-to-self for that in the code comment.
>
> Since only ARP entries are returned, you are in fact getting some performance gain. The userland application should also be simplified a little because the list walking code does not have to check for non-ARP entries.

Actually I'm somewhat surprised at the moment. I looked at the actual
commit and saw that you've heavily changed src/contrib/bsnmp/snmp_mibII.
I don't think that was a good idea for several reasons:

 - this is code maintained in another repository and imported to
FreeBSD. Luckily the cvs-times are over where this commit would have
taken the files of the vendor branch. But nevertheless it is never a
good idea to change code in contrib without pushing the changes upstream.

- you just removed a lot of code and left the ipNetToMedia table
entirely disfunctional.

- you obviously did not test the change. Otherwise you would have seen
that it did not work.

It took me several hours today to re-engineer usr.sbin/arp/arp.c and the
different files under sys/net and sys/netinet to understand how ARP
should work now, fixing an issue with half-baken routing messages while
beeing here. During this time I was puzzled in what strange state I
committed the SNMP stuff: functions that were never called, routing
messages that are not handled. Now looking at your commit I understand
how this happend.

And another point: when changing external interfaces it might be
possible to ask for a full port build with the changes to look for the
fall-out on ports. I would say that this commit was a good candidate to
get the port maintainers into the boat earlier.

not so happy,
harti