No sound from snd_hda

Ganbold ganbold at micom.mng.net
Tue Dec 23 07:22:47 UTC 2008

Alexander Motin wrote:
> Damian Gerow wrote:
>> I've got an Intel HDA device that is sort-of detected, but I get no
>> sound
>> from it:
>>
>> -----
>> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2007061600/amd64)
>> Installed devices:
>> pcm0: <HDA Conexant (Unknown) PCM #0 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
>> kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex default)
>> pcm1: <HDA Conexant (Unknown) PCM #1 Analog> at cad 0 nid 1 on hdac0
>> kld snd_hda [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v channels duplex)
>> -----
>>
>> The same device looked almost exactly the same on a 7.1-BETA build,
>> but I
>> actually had audio output.
>>
>> I've checked the mixer device, tried muting and unmuting various
>> channels,
>> all to no avail.  The audio devices are created, and every program I've
>> tried opens them successfully, but I get no actual sound.
>>
>> I've tried searching around, but I haven't been able to turn anything
>> up.
>> Is there something I'm missing?  Something I should be doing that I'm
>> not?
>
> You are missing new snd_hda man page reading. RTFM. :)
>
> 1) Read new man page;
> 2) Driver provides you two pcm devices for different purposes, so try
> to use both (as man page recommends);
> 3) If your system has several audio connectors - try all of them, they
> are not equal any more.
> 4) Boot with verbose logs enabled to get much more information about
> your codec and driver operation (as man page recommends);
> 5) Connexant audio codecs are rare, so send your verbose output to me,
> I would like to see it.
Alexander,

I have same "no audio" problem here with my laptop on CURRENT and
I will play around with device.hints later today.

Just FYI dmesg and pciconf logs:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ganbold/dmesg.log
http://people.freebsd.org/~ganbold/pciconf.txt

Ganbold

--
Laura's Law: No child throws up in the bathroom.