HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Sun Dec 21 05:33:53 UTC 2008

The code in question on the Wine side is

#if defined(HAVE_SYS_SYSCTL_H) && defined(NET_RT_DUMP)
  int mib[] = {CTL_NET, PF_ROUTE, 0, AF_INET, NET_RT_FLAGS, RTF_LLINFO};

and there is nothing FreeBSD-specific in dlls/iphlpapi/ipstats.c as far
as I can see.

If the arp-v2 update now made us incompatible both with earlier versions
of FreeBSD and Linux, that sounds like something that should be fixed
(instead of hacking applications like Wine).

On the other hand, the commit message at
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/net/route.h
explicitly says
  The change in design obsoletes the semantics of RTF_CLONING,
  RTF_WASCLONE and RTF_LLINFO routing flags. The userland applications
  such as "arp" and "ndp" have been modified to reflect those changes.
so I guess it's not so easy.

How many other ports are affected?

What shall we do on the Wine front?  Simply #ifdef-ing out the code in
question may not be the best of ideas, either. :-(

Gerald

--
Gerald (Jerry) Pfeifer   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/