Is FreeBSD -CURRENT sata port multiplier support functional yet?

Søren Schmidt sos at freebsd.org
Wed Dec 10 10:44:32 UTC 2008

On 10Dec, 2008, at 10:14 , James R. Van Artsdalen wrote:

> Is FreeBSD -CURRENT sata port multiplier support functional yet?
>
> I just tried the 8.0-CURRENT-200812-amd64-dvd1.iso snapshot on a Dell
> 435MT (Core i7) with a generic Silicon Image 3132 card (three
> different
> cards actually) and two Sans Digital eSATA enclosures that were tested
> to work OK with a Macintosh before & after the FreeBSD test.
>
> It appears the port multiplier is detected but that FreeBSD is not
> able
> to probe the disks behind the port multiplier.

I works in some setups but not all, seems PM's even with the same ID
and revision are not created equal, so we still have the fine mess to
find out things as we did in the old days.
I have a setup with SiI chips that works with one PM but fails on 2
others, all three PM's use the same chip (ID and rev), go figure :)

I'll get it fixed eventually, but spare time is sparse

-Søren