Labeling disks

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Fri Dec 5 20:45:57 UTC 2008

I'm trying to set up a new machine with three disks, which should host
a root ufs file system, swap space, and a raidz zfs pool.

Doing this the old-fashioned way with fdisk and bsdlabel (and gmirror
for the a and b slices) works just fine, but I figured I might use the
opportunity and try a GPT partition table. Also, I'd like to label the
disks, and use the labels to reference the disks and contained
partitions, instead of the ATA disk device. If I need to swap disks, I
then don't have to take care to reinsert them into the exact same spots.

Unfortunatly, I'm coming up short:

- Using glabel to label the disks, and then fdisk/bsdlabel partioning
them, works nicely. As soon as I put a gmirror on the label/disk?s1a
partitions, *all* labels disappear. Huh? I can understand removing the
labels for the partitions that are now the providers used by the
gmirror, but why to the other get removed? Also, it seems that gmirror
references the actual disks (see gmirror output below) instead of the
labels. I was under the impression that glabel would consume a
provider and provide it minus the last sector, so /dev/label/foo and /
dev/ad22 are not the same device (but do overlap).

- I did manage to create a GPT partitioned USB stick, but the
partition label doesn't show up. I would be grateful if someone could
commit kern/128398 or similar. (Unless I'm misunderstanding how GPT
labels should show up.)

Am I going about this the wrong way? Is there another way to configure
gmirror and ZFS to use specific disks as opposed to certain channels
on certain controllers?

Thanks,
Stefan

$ gmirror list