i give up

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Dec 2 21:23:45 PST 2008

Conrad J. Sabatier schrieb:

> No, actually, I forwarded to Soren all the information I could glean
> from Windows Vista, Linux and FreeBSD (which I managed to install on an
> external USB drive).  I also applied the patches he sent me, which
> failed to cure the problem, and have been monitoring the mailing lists
> and CVS repo for any signs of progress, but so far I've seen nothing.

Seems Soeren is busy with family and real life, with contributions that are
far between but usually high quality...

OTOH,

> So, what can I say, other than that it's been a great 12 years, and I
> will sadly miss continuing to be an active member of the FreeBSD
> community, your flippant response notwithstanding.  Perhaps if you'd
> been following the lists more closely over the last several months,
> you'd have realized that this was not my first post on this subject,
> although it will probably be the last.  I'd certainly love it if I were
> proven wrong and a solution to my problem was indeed forthcoming, but
> given the utter silence and neglect I've been seeing, I'm not holding
> out any great hopes.

...I've seen this deafening silence with Linux, too, with various distros:
I've tried SuSE/openSUSE and Ubuntu, and there are outright showstopper
bugs that have been unfixed for months, if not years. If it runs somedistro
Version X.Y, you can never be sure that X.(Y+2) causes no regressions --
I've seen that happen with clock drivers, a pet peeve of mine: cause
erratic clock behaviour that ntpd cannot correct. Error handling in drivers
is often a game of luck with Linux... it's always a compromise, aka "choose
your poison".

I don't feel tied to any of the communities, but hop here and there, since
then having to cut ties doesn't hurt if there is nothing to cut :-)

At least, Linux desktop experience in graphical surfaces is "feels more
responsive" for me...

Take care

--
Matthias Andree