evdev Protocol in RELENG_7

Sean C. Farley scf at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 19 07:15:53 PDT 2007

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> Here is My Question, is it possible to use evdev (the xorg mouse
> protocol that may be linux specific)in RELENG_7 with xorg 7.3?
>
> I have a Logitech mx1000 mouse and I can not seem to get xorg to use
> the buttons correctly. I have searched google high and low.
>
> the dmesg says it is a 16 button mouse however I only count 12.
> whatever the case, the top buttons by the wheel have the same id as
> the wheel scroll in xev
>
> if there is an alternate way to use a 12 button mouse in FreeBSD
> please point me to the appropriate documentation.

Here is my setup for using the MX1000.  It is probably not entirely
correct, but I have been too busy to spend time restructuring it.  If
you get some better ideas, please let me know.

First, I disable moused since it will not pass that many buttons (max
seven buttons?) to Xorg.  /etc/rc.conf:
moused_enable="NO"
moused_nondefault_enable="NO"

Next, I tell Xorg how to use this mouse:
Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "auto"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/ums0"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "9 10"
EndSection

I run this in my .xinitrc/.xsession file:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 11 3 9 10 6 7 8 4 5 2 12 13 14"

Swapping buttons 11 and 2 moves the paste button from pressing the wheel
to the up arrow.  It stops all those paste-and-scroll up mistakes.

Amusingly, I get this warning:
Warning: Only changing the first 14 of 32 buttons.

Yes!  I have 32 buttons.  :)  I think it sees the press down and release
actions as two separate buttons.  No.  xev does not show these actions
as separate buttons.

Lastly, I run a little program I wrote to disable CruiseControl else the
up button will keep pasting or something else wicked that I no longer
recall.

Some buttons do not work for me, but I have not seen any need for them.
Hopefully, this will help you get started to finding a better way.  My
payment then is for you to tell us (especially me! :)) of that way.

Sean
--
scf at FreeBSD.org