Status of MySQL on 7 w/o patches applied

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Tue Oct 16 14:53:48 PDT 2007

> I was under the (incorrect?) impression that the debugging stuff would be
> turned off before release.

This was prior to RELENG_7 (the poor performance), and thus any
debugging options present in addition to INVARIANTS/SKIPSPIN would
have been enabled because I incorrectly thought the malloc debugging
would be turned off in the absence of /etc/malloc.conf.

> Prior to that, 7's primary purpose is for
> finding bugs before release and thus debugging options are useful.

Absolutely, I do understand that. And I often run with debugging
enabled just for this purpose just on general principle. But obviously
for benchmarking you want to turn it off.

Perhaps I just missed something, but I managed to miss it even after
knowing about the debugging stuff for a long time (not exactly the
first time running CURRENT). So even if I was just being stupid, I
figure chances are I am not the first one ever to make this misstake
in spite of consciously trying to follow the instructions in
/usr/src/UPDATING for turning it all off.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org