Is there a better alias for freebsd code related questions

Bruce M. Simpson bms at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 22 14:15:54 UTC 2007

Mayank Kumar wrote:
> Since I hardly get a reply on this alias, can somebody point to the correct alias which only deals with the coding related issues in freebsd.
It is entirely likely that the community have been caught unawares by
the stranger in their midst; no doubt they are asking the same questions
as I am now asking, which are, "Who is this guy from Microsoft, and why
is he asking so many random questions?" Not to be rude you understand.

These are quite reasonable questions to ask, given the perceived
ideological opposition based on the organisation you represent, its
ideology, and its business practices. However, to stay the reasonable
and centred course. I would suggest the following course of action:

1. You subscribe to freebsd-hackers@ (a more appropriate venue for such
coding questions)
2. You post an initial mail asking a question, with sufficient
background about why the Possibly Nasty Man from Possibly Nasty
Organisation is Asking So Many Questions. Tell us about yourself.

This clear communication dispels the randomness aspect and the Possibly
Nasty Man aspect, helping all to achieve clear communication.

I myself am familiar with communicating with sub-entities of the
Microsoft entity, having had productive open source work directly funded
by your organisation, regardless of concerns in the wider community
regarding that organisation.

With apologies to the late Robert Anton Wilson.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards
BMS