7.0-RC1 bge network performance issue?

JD Bronson jbronson at sixcompanies.com
Sun Dec 30 06:51:00 PST 2007

I am not sure how or where to ask this so I will start here..

I have an IBM P4-3.06ghz machine with dual 10/100 BGE nics and 1GB ram
with ATA133 IDE drives.

I have noticed the following and wondering how I can troubleshoot
this or what's changed.

Using ANY 6.x branch, including 6.3-RC1 I have no issues at all.
Using the same hardware/machine exactly and using 7.0-RC1
I am seeing terrible network writes into the machine.

my bge nics are set to 100FDX and incoming FTP rates are dismal
at around 2-3MB/sec max.

FTP outbound rates OUT of the box are at full 11-12MB/sec.

Using 6.3-RC1 - traffic is the same in or out of the box.
(I am not using pf)

If it's any help, I have noticed the exact same issue with OpenBSD
since anything newer than 3.7 and my posts to that group with this
issue have basically been unresponded to.

I would love to keep using FreeBSD but cant with this issue.

NetBSD 4.0 does not exhibit this behavior at this time.

Any thoughts? Major changes on bge? Anything?

It simply cant be my hardware as this is not an issue under the 6.x branch.

Thanks,

-JD