amd64 NVIDIA support in FreeBSD 7

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Dec 12 02:09:49 PST 2007

Kip Macy wrote:
 > Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:
 > > from what it sounds like it ATI may be more of a realistic hope for
 > > compiz, and 3D video games to one day work on 64bit FreeBSD
 > >
 > > Thank you for taking the time to explain this.
 >
 > I don't know the status of ATI at the moment - if you want 3D support
 > on FreeBSD right *now* I think nvidia/i386 is your only option.

It depends on your performance requirements.  If you don't
need the latest and fastest, an intel graphics chip might
be an option.

3D acceleration support works fine with the i915 in my
two years old notebook, and it's supposed to work as well
with newer ones (although I've seen a problem report for
the i965 recently).  3D performance is sufficient to run
typical OpenGL screen savers or OpenGL games such as
crack-attack or xkobo-deluxe in full screen (1400 x 1050)
without flicker or jitter.  That's a 2-years old 1.6 GHz
Pentium-M.

Of course, if you need only standard 2D acceleration (no
3D games and stuff), just about any graphics hardware
should be fine.

Best regards
   Oliver

cat man du : where Unix geeks go when they die