ZFS kernel panic

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 28 11:03:43 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 10:02:42AM -0700, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > When you don't use redundant configuration (no mirror, no raidz, no
> > copies>1) then ZFS is going to panic on a write failure. It looks like
> > ZFS found a bad block on your disk.
>
> Does SUN really say this about ZFS?  Is this acceptable in a
> production environment?  What if one of your mirrored disk
> fails and in the "degraded" environment (before you have had
> a chance to replace the bad disk) ZFS discovers that a write
> fails?  Why can't it find an alternative block to write to?

There were many complains on zfs-discuss@, you may want to look into
archive. The short version is that many users doesn't like that, and it
should change in the future - because of COW model it should be quite
easy to just mark block as bad and take next one, but it's not currently
implemented. It's much less of a problem when one uses redundancy.