ZFS + Samba/NFS = ugh

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 14:24:04 PDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Erik Osterholm <freebsd-lists-erik at erikosterholm.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 08:41:34PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Brooks Talley wrote:
> > > Hi everyone.  So far, 7.0 is being pretty darned sweet for me.
> > >
> > > It's probably a known issue, but I haven't seen it referenced anywhere: it seems that ZFS filesystems can be shared/exported with Samba/NFS, but they do not accept any kind of writes over the network, and have other issues with smbclient ("Error in diskattr: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)" comes up a lot).
> > >
> > > Anyone run into this?  Any known fixes?
> >
> > NFS _and_ Samba?
> >
> > Samba is a userland daemon - if it had problems, other applications
> > would have also had problems.
>
> The issue has been discussed before.  It is very real:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-June/072991.html

It was also discussed in:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-July/074495.html

where it was found to be caused by lseek behaving differently on ZFS:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-July/074584.html

And one person found a work arround for ZFS by removing the
repdir_get* sources from samba:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-July/074592.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-July/074600.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-July/074601.html

Here is a test program thats shows some problems with the consistency
of telldir/seekdir behavior:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-July/075401.html

Read the full thread to get all the information on the problem.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.