ZFS committed to the FreeBSD base.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 6 02:58:34 UTC 2007

Hi.

I'm happy to inform that the ZFS file system is now part of the FreeBSD
operating system. ZFS is available in the HEAD branch and will be
available in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE as an experimental feature.

Commit log:

  Please welcome ZFS - The last word in file systems.

  ZFS file system was ported from OpenSolaris operating system. The code
  in under CDDL license.

  I'd like to thank all SUN developers that created this great piece of
  software.

  Supported by:	Wheel LTD (http://www.wheel.pl/)
  Supported by:	The FreeBSD Foundation (http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/)
  Supported by:	Sentex (http://www.sentex.net/)

Limitations.

  Currently ZFS is only compiled as kernel module and is only available
  for i386 architecture. Amd64 should be available very soon, the other
  archs will come later, as we implement needed atomic operations.

Missing functionality.

  - We don't have iSCSI target daemon in the tree, so sharing ZVOLs via
    iSCSI is also not supported at this point. This should be fixed in
    the future, we may also add support for sharing ZVOLs over ggate.
  - There is no support for ACLs and extended attributes.
  - There is no support for booting off of ZFS file system.

Other than that, ZFS should be fully-functional.

Enjoy!