ath (Orinoco) card cannot associate

Neil Short neshort at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 22:46:55 UTC 2006

<quote>
status: no carrier
</quote>

Sometimes this means the card has been turned off. My
computer has a little switch on it that enables me to
turn it off.

If you run:
# ifconfig ath0 scan
and you can see your access point then there is no
problem with your card; but if it does not show up
then there is a physical problem with your card
(broken? turned off?) or your access point is down.

As a simple test, can you bring up your access point
wide open and connect to it?

If you can then the problem might be related to your
ifconfig statement.

I am surprised to see such a long wep key.

You might try simplifying your statemnt and avoid the
"wepkey" keyword. I spent probably a week with that
keyword and it simply didn't work. A helpful responder
in the mailing lists suggest I use instead the "nwkey"
keyword. Man, it was almost like magic. I was sure I
had done everything right - and I had; but "wepkey"
for some reason didn't work. It's there in the manpage
for ifconfig.

Give it a whirl.

Good luck.

======
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are truth, and his ways are justice; and he is able to bring low those who walk in pride.
Daniel 4:37