New malloc breaks old libpthread

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Mon Jan 16 21:36:13 PST 2006

Got this trying to run an old Xorg binary on a -CURRENT machine I don't
update very frequently:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libpthread.so.1: Undefined symbol "__malloc_lock"

The libpthread.so.1 was from June 2005, prior to the libpthread version
bump. Unfortunately this means that RELENG_6 compatibility is broken in
-HEAD since the new libc.so.6 is not compatible with libraries built
against it prior to the merge date of the new user malloc.

I guess its time libc's version number.  We haven't yet for post-RELENG_6,
and this it the usual case calling for the bump.

/me breaks out the paintbrushes, smocks, and dropcloths