Ldconfig mistake renders system unbootable?

Michael Gardner gardnermj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 20:59:02 UTC 2006

I was trying to get a Linux binary to run
(http://filter24.org/seq24/), and was having problems with linking, so
I messed around with ldconfig a bit and somehow ended up breaking my
system completely. The command I ran before everything broke was
"ldconfig -elf /usr/compat/linux/lib", which I now realize was not at
all what I wanted to do. Now when I try to boot FreeBSD, even in
single user mode, I get the folowing:

libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "__stdoutp" referenced from COPY
relocation in -sh
libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Undefined symbol "__stdoutp" referenced from COPY
relocation in sh

It then asks me for the location of my shell, but keeps giving the
errors above no matter which shell I choose (/bin/sh being the obvious
one).

I'm running FreeBSD 6.1 (and have been since it came out, so this
shouldn't have anything to do with upgrading). I know I did something
monumentally dumb, but how can I fix things?

-Michael