HEADS-UP: starting to commit linuxolator (SoC 2006) changes...

Suleiman Souhlal ssouhlal at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 15 12:54:26 UTC 2006

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> I already started... and I don't want to commit some parts (the linker
> stuff which allows to use the module on amd64).
 >
> It is also not used by default, as long as we have 2.4.2 for the linux
> version, no new functions will be used by glibc. So there is no change
> in behavior after the commits. I tested with acroread (which has issues
> when run with a 2.6.16 compat.linux.osrelease version, where the new
> functions are used by glibc).
 >
> So this gives us:
>  - coverity reports for the code *before the end of the SoC*

Why the rush? I'm sure Roman will be around even when the SoC is over.

Also, I'm not asking you to wait a month, just a couple of days until
more people have had a chance to look at the changes.

It's a bit unreasonable to say "here's a patch, please look at it" and
commit it less than a day later.

>  - no change in behavior in the default case, since the new calls
>    aren't used by glibs as long as... see following entry
>  - easy testing possibility (sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16,
>    defaults to 2.4.2)
>  - more eyes on the code

Those are not valid reasons to commit unreviewed and potentially wrong
changes.

-- Suleiman